Removing the Air Conditioner

Living in the Pacific Northwest we do not have a huge need for an air conditioner on our RV and we decided to remove it.  Further influencing our decision was both the age and weight of the ancient unit.

The air conditioner that came with the trailer is a Coleman and has a thermostat connected to that you can control from inside the trailer.  We have no idea if it works as I didn’t both plugging it in to test it but if I had to guess it would either just not run at all or blow up on us.  The thing is very old and rusted and we decided to just get rid of it.

Removing a 175lb air conditioner from the roof of an RV is no easy task.  I decided the best way to do this would be to lean a 2×8 piece of plywood up against the roof line and then put the bottom of it into a wheel barrel that Amber was holding.  We essentially “slid” the old AC unit off the top of the roof and down the plywood right into the wheel barrel where we could roll it to the back of my car and take it to the dump.  We managed to do this successfully with no damage to the RV and no injuries to ourselves.

ac-unit  rv-air-conditioner

Up Next: Installing a skylight where the old air conditioner was.

 

The Beginning

Alright, now that she’s all tucked away in her spot for the winter, we’ve started to tear things out we don’t need, want or that doesn’t work. We got out our drills, gloves, candles, Lavender Pinesol, heaters, hammers, pry bars and headlamps to attack 40 years of dirt, grime and smell and demolish the clunky inefficient 1970’s technology. Bye, bye curtains, cushions, furnace, water heater, hinges, A/C unit and the newer college dorm refrigerator. While Chris tore out most of the big things, I took down the curtains, and started wiping (and wiping, and wiping again) the inside of the trailer out. To keep parts strait, Chris took pictures of all the original set up and parts to refer back to when he adds new stuff in. I salvaged the curtain rods labeling them to make it easy to put them back up when the time comes. The most challenging part will be the electrical but Chris is excited to learn how it all works. We’ve found a little dry rot here and there but it hasn’t really been that bad.