So I (Amber) decided to put in the floors since Chris was working hard on stuff nobody sees or cares about but is totally necessary and is taken for granted. You know like water pipes, flushing toilet, water tanks, wheel bearings, electrical panels, lighting etc…. Let me tell you that laying Tivoli II Peel ‘N’ Stick Vinyl Planks (in Rustic Oak) in a vintage trailer that is not perfectly straight made this quite the task and about 17 hours over 10 days. Below is a photo journal of my first time, floor installing journey. I finished for it’s World Premier July 4th, 2015 depute. Enjoy!
Short Video of the original floors.
Started by cutting lose and peeling old, “flaking” linoleum out.
I used a utility knife, scissors, newspaper, straight edge, marker, sweat….
To cut around the toilet hole (haha), and all the tables and cabinets rivets and divots, I read to use a template out of newspaper. It totally worked but takes forever to do.
Progress of the floors….
And the final…
One final thing… to fill the gaps I used this wood filler. Turned out great!
Here are a couple shots of the inside of Goldie (yes, that’s what were calling her since we did gold accents). Lot’s of work but it paid off and looks great! Still not totally done with the kitchen backsplash so you’re not seeing that part. More interior shots to come!
I wanted to remake our trailers seat/bed cushions. I loosely followed some DIY step by step instruction blogs on how to make trailer cushions. Here’s what I did.
Supplies: 3 thin peg board 4×8 pieces from The Home Depot ($15/piece); seat cushion foam and upholstery fabric of your choosing (details on previous blog post), measuring tape, scissors, staple gun, 1/4″ heavy duty staples.
I measured and measured again the inside of the trailer area and the original seat cushions. I only wanted to cut once since foam and fabric are so expensive.
My husband took a skill saw and cut my measured out sizes I had marked off on the peg board. The edges don’t have to be perfectly straight it’s only for the base and structure of the cushion.
Once the boards were cut, I laid the board out on the foam and used a black marker to mark my cut lines.
Use your preferred cutting device. For my first cushion I used scissors which worked OK but I think I’m going to use a serrated knife or electric turkey carver for the rest (which is the common think used per the blogs I read). The edge of the foam is going to get a little choppy but that’s OK. The fabric covers it right up.
Next I laid the fabric down on the floor, then the foam, then the support board. Pulled the fabric taut with my husbands help and stapled away. I folded the fabric edges like a present.
While Chris was doing the heavy lifting taking out the furnace, AC and water heater, I wanted to keep my projects moving so I went to Joanne’s Fabric just to browse and get an idea of what fabrics and color pallet I may want to use. I knew I wanted to go with a 70’s retro theme but wanted it to be updated and modern (think 2014 Charlie’s Angels). I started with pinning tons of styles on my Vintage Trailer Pinterest board to get the ideas flowing. The I Love Lucy, cutesy trailers aren’t my style or my husband style but I did want it to be thematic. So I’m glad we ended up with the awesome 70’s style trailer.
As I said above, I went to Joanne’s Fabrics just to BROWSE for fabric colors but ended up buying everything due to the amazing Veterans Day Sale they had going on. I’m not a sewer so I never realized how expensive fabric is, let alone upholstery fabric as well as the dense seat cushion foam. I absolutely love the colors that “spoke to me” while I was browsing. Again, I wanted to keep it updated and modern and think I found my perfect fabrics and colors.
All the fabrics I chose are upholstery grade. The green, chevron and grey fabrics are from the Home Essentials line at Joannes’ for 6.99/yrd on sale (originally 9.99/yrd) and the partridge bird fabric was on the big roles and the most expensive of the fabrics at $17.99/yard on sale (originally $45/yrd). All in all I bought 20 yards of fabric and spent $170 which was a steal due to the sale! This gives you an idea of the cost to update the fabric in a trailer that is our size.
The green fabric will be used for the curtains. I like that the green is solid on both sides so when the curtains are closed they will still look good from the outside.
The black and white chevron pattern is definitely a trendy style right now. I like the mute pattern and know it will be timeless for years to come. This will be used for the dinette cushions.
The grey fabric is for the bottom couch cushion and the updated 70’s, retro partridge bird pattern is for the top couch cushion.
The dense foam for the seat cushions was very expensive. I was thinking thick, egg crate foam pricing but no. The guy at Joanne’s told me this is made from an oil so it keeps its shape and density to use for years to come. That’s what makes it 10x more expensive. I needed 4 pieces of this foam. They only have 4 pieces of the 4 inch thick foam. I was going to go for the 5 inch but they only had 1 left and since they were on sale, it was while supplies last. I’m actually glad for the 4 inch, it was less expensive and will work just fine! On sale, I got these for $81 a piece. They were originally $162/piece. They come in 2.5yrd long and about 25 inches wide. I spent a total of $324 for the foam on sale.
The total cost for all the fabrics and foam was $493. I saved $453 due to the Veterans Day Sale. Note to anyone doing this, wait for the weekend holiday sales what ever you do!!!!